Ajvar (Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Relish)
It’s a dip, it’s a sauce, it’s a condiment, it’s a spread! Here are just a few ways you can use ajvar: Serve as a dip with crusty bread, crackers, or raw vegetables. Use as a sandwich spread alone or mixed with vegan mayo. Use anywhere you’d use ketchup–on roasted potatoes is particularly good. Stir into warm pasta. Add a little to your favorite vinaigrette for a zesty salad dressing. Top slices of baked tofu or roasted cauliflower with a dollop of ajvar.
- 5 red bell peppers (about 2 1/2-3 pounds)
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped (optional)
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (optional or to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- Cut the peppers in half and remove stem, seeds, and white membranes. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise.
- Place peppers and eggplants cut-sides down on a large baking sheet and place it in the oven about 4 inches below the broiler. Broil until the pepper skins blister and blacken and the eggplant is tender in the middle. The blacker you get the peppers, the better the flavor, so don’t be shy! If you find some are blackening before others, move them around on the baking sheet so that they will roast evenly.
- As the peppers blacken, remove them to a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. When the eggplant is tender, remove it to a plate or cutting board. Scoop out the flesh, discarding any large seeds, and place it in the food processor with the olives and garlic. Process until smooth.
- Allow the peppers to steam in the covered bowl until they are cool. Then peel off the blackened skin; the more skin you remover, the better, but don’t worry if you can’t get every bit. Add them to the eggplant in the food processor and pulse to chop them finely but do not blend them into a smooth paste. Remove to a bowl and add the vinegar, hot pepper, and salt to taste. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s) | Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Makes about 3 cups. Nutrition (per serving): 34 calories, 7 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 33.1mg sodium, 220.8mg potassium, 6.3g carbohydrates, 2.6g fiber, 3.4g sugar, 1g protein.
***Recipe from: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/03/ajvar-roasted-red-pepper-and-eggplant-relish.html