Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (baby bella or button), sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the dry ends off the sprouts and then cut them in half. Prepare the remaining vegetables and heat a non-stick skillet. Have the vegetable broth standing by.
- Put the onions into the hot skillet and give them a sprinkle of salt (optional, but speeds browning). Stirring constantly, adding a teaspoon or two of broth to the skillet if the onions stick, cook until the onions begin to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and more broth if necessary, and cook for another minute. Remove onions and garlic to a plate and return the skillet to the heat.
- Put the sprouts into the skillet, cut side down. Cook until they begin to brown and then add in the mushrooms and stir. Cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently. Add about 1/2 cup vegetable broth and the reserved onions, stir, turn down the heat, and cover tightly. Cook until the sprouts are tender and easily pierced with a fork, 3-5 minutes, adding more broth if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately, garnished with grated orange peel, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Nutrition (per serving): 72 calories, 5 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 116.5mg sodium, 653mg potassium, 14.5g carbohydrates, 5.2g fiber, 4.2g sugar, 6.1g protein.
Recipe Courtesy of: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/02/brussels-sprouts-and-mushrooms.html